Friday 3 February 2012

Jacob's Ladder 1921

JACOB'S LADDER 1921

Seemingly humble Jacob Pratt falls into financial disgrace and is snubbed by most of his associates. 
 On the first day of his fall from grace on his way to work he gets into the customary train carriage. A fellow passenger Edward Bultiwell puts aside The Times:
"Pratt," he said, "am I to understand that the greeting which you offered to the occupants of this carriage when you entered was intended to include me?"
"I, I certainly meant it," was the tremulous reply.
"Then let me say that such a liberty must not be repeated. I look upon a man who has compounded with his creditors as a person temporarily, at any rate, outside the pale of converse with his fellows on-er-equal terms. I look upon your presence in a first class carriage ...as an impertinence to those who have had to suffer from your insolvency."


Thus he is obliged to leave his seat at the next station and get in a  3rd class carriage where a Richard Dauncey speaks kindly to him.
Two years' later Pratt's brother-and co-partner-living in America strikes it rich in oil and overnight Mr Pratt is wealthy.
How will Pratt respond? How will others react?
As the temptations of revenge, generosity and love play out we see how Pratt responds as in a moral fable.
An enjoyable read.
6/10



No comments:

Post a Comment